Sunday, May 15, 2011

The new students arrived three weeks ago tomorrow. It has been a busy three weeks, but we are finally starting to settle down.

The students are writing their blogs each week, so I thought it would be good if I write a short blog as well.

Last week the students began their engineering classes. It is a huge challenge to learn specialist knowledge in a foreign language, but I think that they will be able to make good progress.

Last week in Mechanics, the students reviewed some simple formula used in mechanics involving velocity, motion, force and energy.

In design, we finally managed to install the Solidworks software onto their computers, and they learned some basic steps in designing a part.

In computer programming, they talked about simple procedures and instructions, and the importance of being clear and precise.

In maths, the students learned about triangles, and then moved on to circles and calculating using radians.

In English, we had a test this morning to review some of the vocabulary and expressions that the students had encountered in the last two weeks. The students were surprised that there were no multiple choice questions, and that they had to write sentences in English rather than translate or just give the meaning of a word.

We are beginning to introduce some of the idioms and phrasal verbs that are so common in everyday speech, and I think that this will help them understand the conversation in the homstays better.

No comments:

Post a Comment